12 interesting facts about Kazakhstan
1. Kazakhstan is home to about 120 ethnic groups and nationalities
2. The border between Russia and Kazakhstan is the longest continuous land border in the world (7512.8 kilometers)
3. The chimney of Ekibastuz GRES-2 is the highest in the world (420 meters)
4. In 2009, Kazakhstan took the first place in the world in the production of uranium (14020 tons); in 2011, the country produced 19450 tons of uranium (35% of world production). Kazakhstan has the second largest uranium reserves in the world.
5. Kazakhstan is the 9th largest country in the world and the largest country that doesn’t have access to the ocean
6. Horses were first domesticated on the territory of the present Kazakhstan
7. Medeo is the highest mountain skating rink in the world. Highlands and pure mountain water to make the ice contribute to achieving high performance in speed skating, 170 world records were set here.
8. The first artificial satellite (Sputnik 1) and the first man (Yuri Gagarin) were sent into space from Baikonur cosmodrome located in Kazakhstan
9. Half of Lake Balkhash, one of the largest lakes in the world, consists of fresh water, the other half of the salt water.
10. Russian word for money (“dengi”) comes from the Turkic word “tenge” – the name of current currency of Kazakhstan
11. Astana – the name of the capital of Kazakhstan – means “capital city”.
12. Kazakh means “wanderer” or “independent.”
Tags: No tags